Date:      Sun, 29 Oct 2000 12:40:17 -0800
From:      Chip <chip@wiegand.org>
To:        cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ports question

"Crist J . Clark" wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 01:00:56PM -0600, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > Chip writes:
> > > Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought that when installing a
> > > port it would
> > > also update any dependencies. For example, I want to install xfce
> > > from the
> > > port, but it failed apparently on esound. So I then went to
> > > install esound
> > > by itself by it failed with the message that libtool is out of
> > > date.  So I used pkg_delete on the old libtool and then installed
> > > the new libtool port, and
> > > now xfce installs just fine because esound also installs fine.
> > > I thought stuff like this got updated by installing from the
> > > port? This is the
> > > first time this sort of problem has happened to me, and I have
> > > installed many
> > > of the ports just to see what some of these programs are.
> >
> > Well, "updating" a port isn't something the ports system deals with
> > every well. It tries to *install* the dependencies if it can't find
> > them. Libtool seems to break under these conditions, but it's the only
> > thing I've run into that does.
>
> IMHO, this is the correct behavior.
>
> > Other ports have simply installed
> > multiple versions of the port.
>
> Not really, other ports have _overwritten_ earlier versions of the
> port without changing the package database. That, IMHO, is bad. I'd
> rather be warned to remove the old and install the new than just
> clobber the old with new.
> --
> Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.edu

I tend to agree with you Crist. My thoughts on are this (I am
still relatively
new to FBSD, less than a year still). If I was asked 'do you want
to overwrite
such-n-such with a newer version' I'm not sure I would be able to
make the right
choice. I wouldn't know the implications of overwriting or not
overwriting, would
it break some other program or not? I, being a newby, would
probably just answer
with 'yes' and live with the results. I'm not a programmer so
fixing the resultant
problems, if there were any, would be beyond my ability. I'm not
sure where I'm
going with this, but I think there is no perfect solution, there
will always be
a problem cropping up somewhere. In my situation described above
I was able to fix
the problem, and I must say I take a bit of pride in the fact
that I did, even if
it was only a small thing. But thats how we all get started
right? Start at the
bottom and work our way up.
If this seems a bit scatter-brained its because I have so many
things going on my
little network to learn - apache, php, mysql, shell scripts,
ipfw, and I still
want to get dns running. Lots to learn and not enough time.
--
Chip W.
www.wiegand.org