Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:14:36 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Best HDD's for laptops?

> Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 00:24:15 -0800
> From: Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 07:43:06PM -0500, Parv wrote:
>
> 	[[ ... ]]
> >
> > > What HDD brands/models/manufacturers would you recommend?  I need
> > > one that resists heavy use..
> >
> > Currently i have been using Fujitsu MHT2060AH 60GB hard drive for
> > about 8-9 months; cannot say how long it will last.  It has been
> > amazingly much quieter in comparison.
> >
> > My usage consist mainly of writing/searching/reading files --
> > fetching email, (de)compression of ~2.5GB mbox, various log files.
> >

> 	(I *promised* myself not to sink another penny into my 600E
> 	but in case I break my word: will just about any laptop
> 	drive replace my 12GB IBM drive, or do I have to stick to
> 	an IBM-"approved" drive?)

No drive approval. (I'm really annoyed about the mini-PCI approval in
my T30!) Any Toshiba or Hitachi drive should be OK as IBM used both as
original equipment. I suspect that Fujitsu and any others would be
fine, too.

I've seen 40 GB drives for sale at about $80 over the past few weeks
(both Toshiba and Hitachi) at Fry's, if you are in the right part of the
country.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)