Date:      Sun, 16 May 1999 14:41:42 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I dunno... is this a bug?

> > && i386 FreeBSD (for 'dangerously dedicated' disks) are no longer
> > compatible.
> >
> > Is this a bug or a feature?
>
> The Alpha may never have supported "dangerously dedicated" disks.  You
> may mean "truly dedicated" disks.  I don't know that they were ever
> compatible; the label seems to be at different locations on each
> platform.

I guess- I really haven't looked at the details. All I know was that at
some point last week I was testing the following configuration (where e &&
d had the disk split exactly in half):

Alpha PC 164 Fibre Channel ->	da2e
				da2d <- Fibre Channel 2xPPro i86

This was what I would call and acceptable shared bus... Some time in the
last week a change has happened that made both sides now not recognize
each other's disklabel. Too bad, if so. I suppose I could try an fdisk
type label and see what happens..

I guess my metapoint or metaquestion here is: a Disk Label is a Disk
Label. If there is some canonical form on disk that makes a disk usable,
modulo stupid endian foo in non 8 bit data in the label, then the labels
should be usable across all architectures, and hence provide shared
raw volumes at least (. or ? as to whether it's a metapoint/meta-assertion
or a metaquestion)

(this, btw, is becoming a pretty common configuration with FC loops)