Date:      Sun, 12 Jul 1998 11:16:42 -0500
From:      Carroll Kong <damascus@eden.rutgers.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Dump / Restore - Good backup method?

	Why dont you use dump to perform the backups? It is much more easy and
safe to restore all files or individual files.

Cheers

Jorge
University of Coimbra, Portugal

Wow... someone mentioned this on irc... although not #freebsd because they
happened to ban my entire domain... for no apparent reason.  Anyways, I
digress.

I am learning quickly the true powers of Unices.... dump and restore seem
like the perfect guys to do this.  But... I noticed, that Unix-like oses
and Microsoft DO NOT corralate perfectly so ... I am a bit confused and
want to make 100% sure about dump / restore.  Dump can make a super
"dumpfile", the level 0 argument per se.  But.. if it does a full backup..
and I plan on making a .tar file on the file systems somewhere... how is
that going to work?  (I don't really have a tape drive).  Now... If I move
the system apart... I want to be able to restore into the system easily...
seems like I would have to put a brand new drive into the current system I
wanted to "transport" and use restore to dump into that new harddrive?

 -r      Restore (rebuild a file system).  The target file system should
             be made pristine with newfs(8),  mounted and the user cd'd  into

                   newfs /dev/rrp0g eagle
                   mount /dev/rp0g /mnt
                   cd /mnt

                   restore rf /dev/rst8

Ok... newfs /dev/rrp0g.. not sure what that means.  I am more used to sd0s
and wd0s.... or that new argument "eagle".  Not sure.. i always thought
newfs was something like newfs -b 8192 /dev/sd0s3.

Ok... now mounting.. no problem.  And restoring... hm... restore rf
<filename> (in this man page example, that's a tape drive, right?  For my
case, I would be outputting and restoring from a solid file.  Not that
there is a real difference between a file and a device since they are
technically the same. :)  )

But basically, this is the best method, eh?  Sure seems safer than my
method and I think restore can do over the network restoration.  I guess I
could work something out there.

Sorry for being very ... "lame" in asking such questions... just that ever
since I have been banned from #Freebsd and the webpage, although pretty
good for the beginning, loses it's affect, I have no where else to go.  :)
Thanks for your patience guys.

-Carroll Kong