Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 21:16:35 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>, "'Arcady Genkin'" <antipode@thpoon.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: imap and pop3 via stunnel (was: UW-IMAP server and secure authentication)

So far I haven't seen a single suggestion here that will
do anything to increase usage of encryption on the Internet.
You seem to be advocating an Internet where high encryption
is a product that is an extra add-on to IP communications and
should cost money, and we all should be paying fees to
the CA industry.  Obviously, normal economic forces will
naturally limit it's deployment.  It's a lot like the
governments attitude of let's keep the strong encryption
away from the people if we can.  From my point of view, I
don't see any reason why high encryption cannot
be built into all TCP/IP communication and just come as part
of the stack itself, and CA's be issued freely by any server.
After all, you can use any DNS server on the Internet to
look up names, and NTP services are free for the asking,
why should encryption certificates be any different?

Of course, if encryption should ever become as common as
the TCP/IP stack, there wouldn't be an industry of people
sitting around figuring out ways to make it more complicated
to use, or legally restricting it, or putting algorithims
for it under restrictive licenses, etc. etc.