Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 15:23:34 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-chat@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTC regulating use of registrations

> > > There is a certain minimum that is acceptable.  I still think that
> > > for many they would be below that minimum if only one parent was
> > > working.
> >
> > What is that minimum?  8K/year?  I know a family of 5 (mom, pop, and 3
> > kids all under 12 who live on that now.)
>
> I think that rather than trying to put this "minimum" in physical
> terms, it might be best to use psychological ones.  Is it when money
> starts ordering your life?

Then *most* American's don't have the minimum, since money is the whole
point of this, isn't it?  When two people feel they 'have' to work, then
money is ordering your life.  My arguement is that you can justify
needing a second job if you make less than $150K/family a year just as
easily as you can for a $15K/family.

> I suppose what you're trying to argue is that it's possible to put a
> monetary value on the value of one parent staying home.  I guess I
> can live with that.

Sort of.  I'm saying that there are monetary advantages to having one
parent stay at home, and that most folks don't even consider them due to
short-sightedness and/or peer pressure.  Staying home with the kids
isn't near as acceptable as it used to be.

Too often at-home parent's hear:
*sarcasm on*
"Oh, you don't work, you stay home with the kids."
*sarcasm off*

Nate