Date:      Sun, 27 Dec 1998 17:54:02 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Christian Kuhtz <ck@ns1.adsu.bellsouth.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Thanks, Core Team

> On Sun, Dec 27, 1998 at 05:45:37PM -0800, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> > > 1.  LKMs are gone.
> > > 2.  This was decided by the core team.
> > > 3.  Nobody else was informed.
> >
> > Actually, while some of the recent events came as much as a surprise
> > to core as anyone else, the transition from LKMs to KLD modules is not
> > and should not come as a surprise to anyone.  We've been talking about
> > it for ages now in -current and the only way you could possibly fail
> > to be informed about this transition would be if you had simply
> > deleted every mail received from -current for at least the last 3
> > months.
>
> And three months is considered to be a suitable transition period?  With all
> due respect, give me a break. *hrmph*

This was discussed at length for some time; and in Greg's case as one
of the LKM-laggers we've been trying to encourage him to switch for
some time, and that was in fact on the agenda before the jackboots
arrived.

Three months is actually not at all unreasonable, especially given how
trivial the actual code changes required are.

> If the old facility still works, why not leave both enabled?

Because LKMs don't work for ELF kernels, and we should be making the
ELF kernel cutover before we branch.  Again, this is something that
should have been understood by the folks following -current, although
we haven't necessarily been making enough loud noise about it to keep
it a constant discussion topic.