Date:      Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:29:41 -0600
From:      Danny Howard <dannyman@toldme.com>
To:        Mike Loiterman <mike@ascendency.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: <$100 SATA RAID Card 5.3 compatible

On Tue, Mar 15, 2005 at 05:53:30PM -0600, Mike Loiterman wrote:

> >> Can anyone recommend a SATA RAID card that is compatible with 5.3?
> >> The 3ware ones listed in the hardware notes are pretty
> >> expensive...over a hundred dollars for the lowest end card.  Is 5.3
> >> compatible with any of the adpatec or promise cards?
> >>
> > What kind of RAID do you want?  For a simple system-level RAID1, skip
> > the hardware and go with gmirror.
>
> RAID1.  I'm looking into gmirror, but it seems like it might be messy if
> one of the drives dies.

Mike,

Messy how?  You keep an eye on "gmirror list" and it will tell you if
one of the disks has died.  If a disk dies, you swap in an RMA, and
rebuild the mirror.  If "swap in the RMA" involves downtime, then
gmirror will see the new disk at boot and DTRT.

Or have you seen too many horror stories on the mailing lists?

Currently, I have a whole bunch of systems with one-off 3ware or Adaptec
controllers, and I don't know how to monitor them reliably.  I tried
doing a 3ware a month or two back, and there was this crazy race between
how old the binary versus the kernel module versus the firmware was and
I just gave up.  Grr!  As RAID1 solutions go, gmirror take a lot of the
headache out of administration.

IMO, YMMV, and I have daily backups ...

--
http://dannyman.toldme.com/