Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 21:24:43 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RAM compression again

I have been thinking a little bit on the subject. I have come out
with a relatively simple zero-removal algorithm which compresses
(and decompressed) a 4KB page in about 100us (yes, that's 40MB/s)
on a Pentium 100.

While the compression ratio is not as high as with gzip, I consistently
get a 2.5 reduction on FreeBSD 2.1R and 1.1.5 (maybe this is an
artifact of the inefficient malloc) and on Alpha/OSF (64-bit
architecture, known not to make a very efficient use of memory).

More interesting is that some 15-20% of the pages compress to
64-bytes or less. Thus a very effective RAM-swap area could be
implemented with little cost and additional complexity (with
fixed-size, 64-bytes blocks).

A description of the compression/decompression algorithm and
its implementation are available from the following URL:

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/research.html

I'd be interested if someone could try it on a more recent system
than 2.1R and report the results.

	Thanks
	Luigi
Luigi Rizzo                     Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it       Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533              via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522              http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/