Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 00:35:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   First look: 2.1.5 install

(Pointers for a more appropriate forum for this are greatly appreciated)

Just finished going through the 2.1->2.1.5 upgrade.  Software copyover
(via ftp from a local machine) was error-free.  I like the new
bottom-level status display!  Nice to know how fast the system is
processing info.

Phase 2 didn't go as well.  It hosed sysconfig and services _BEFORE_
copying them to /usr/tmp/etc!!  Luckily I didn't trust myself and made a
separate backup of /etc so I was able to resurrect the proper /etc/services
from the hacked-down version and found the proper settings in sysconfig.

Here are the date/timestamps off of the "backups" (note they haven't been
touched since mid-June):

-rw-rw-r--  1 root  wheel        137 Jul 13 21:02 services
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel       8409 Jul 13 19:49 sysconfig

Hm.  /etc/services should be more like:

-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  59967 Jul 14 22:39 services

So Jordan, please fix that!!  I think I got bit by this last time because
I remember hunting through the archives looking for a services file.
Looking at timestamps protocols may also be affected.  I don't use it so
I wouldn't know if it gets hosed or not.

When I came back up (with the wrong sysconfig) there were some errors but
nothing catastrophic.  Once the configuration was correctly adjusted then
all was back to normal.  The only goofy thing was that my ed0 ( a nonamer
NE2000) locked up for the first time *ever* while I was writing this mail
message before.  And it went 9 months without a burp before.  :-/

Question:  what is the new 'package startup' bit?  I didn't see any
explanative text or sample rc.d's regarding that.  I noticed that the
hooks for the popular software (apache, pcnfsd) had been removed.  I've
hacked them into rc.local until I understand the package startup
section.  (yeah, I should read CHANGES, but....)

Poking through LINT I see some odd lines sprinkled in:

First, an odd place for the ccd pseudo-device:

#
# BOUNCE_BUFFERS provides support for ISA DMA on machines with more
# than 16 megabytes of memory.  It doesn't hurt on other machines.
# Some broken EISA and VLB hardware may need this, too.
pseudo-device   ccd     4       #Concatenated disk driver
#
# DUMMY_NOPS disables extra delays for some bus operations.  The delays
# are mostly for older systems and aren't used consistently.  Probably
# works OK on most EISA bus machines.
#

And then the infamous npx0 is in the middle of nowhere with no
explanative text:

#
# MAXCONS is maximum number of virtual consoles, no more than 16
# default value: 12
#
options         "MAXCONS=16"

device          npx0    at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

#
# Optional ISA and EISA devices:

Just some stuff I noticed.

In all other cases, smooth transition.  Hey, even the backported qcam
driver compiled without a squeak.

Thanks for the great release guys!  Keep it up!