Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 2000 05:08:10 +0800
From:      John Summerfield <summer@OS2.ami.com.au>
To:        Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>
Cc:        John Summerfield <summer@OS2.ami.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG, summer@emu.os2.ami.com.au
Subject:   Re: sendmail in 4.1.1

jruigrok@via-net-works.nl said:
> > >However, where the heck are the sendmail documents and
> configuration tools?

> Which documents are you referring to?

> Also, doesn't http://www.sendmail.org/ have what you need?

I have sendmail 8.11 installed on another system. Th configuration tools
amount to about 160 files.

They're impossible to miss.

The documentation that's missing includes README.cf, amounting to about 12k
describing how to use the configuration tools.

sendmail.org might have them (they are certainly there in the source code),
but I don't want to waste money making phone calls each time I want to refer
to them, or lose the use of my phone for other purposes during that time.

Using the configuration tools that are missing, I could put together a
sendmail configuration in under a dozen well-chosen and carefully-considered
lines of text.

It's true that in my case I have those documents and tools on another
computer, but what if I hadn't? They're not standard issue with the OS which
came with 8.9.3.

Is there something I've not installed? I can't find any package that looks
like sendmail, either installed or not.