Date:      Mon, 1 Apr 2002 13:41:48 -0700
From:      "Lane Spiers" <lane@spiersfamily.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SMC Wireless question

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C1D982.F8E99CC0

I've been a UNIX (Solaris and Linux) user for quite a few years (Solaris =
4.1.X is still my favorite UNIX ...)  I just loaded the 4.5 release of =
FreeBSD on my laptop.  Everything seems to work great (is it just my =
imagination, or is FreeBSD faster than current Linux distributions?)  As =
the system boots, it properly identifies my wireless NIC (SMC 2632W) and =
appears to load the appropriate drivers - the interface is identified as =
wi0.  When I attempt to manually ifconfig it, it comes up and links with =
the access point.  But, if I try to ping anything else on the network, I =
get "wi0: watchdog timeout" errors and "host is down" error messages.

The only thing I've been able to find in the archives mentions getting =
the latest Linux firmware from SMC - I loaded this and rebooted, but it =
hasn't seemed to make any difference.

Any help would be appreciated.  If this is the wrong forum for this =
question, a gentle pointer in the right direction would also be =
welcomed.

Lane

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C1D982.F8E99CC0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've been a UNIX (Solaris and Linux) =
user for quite=20
a few years (Solaris 4.1.X is still my favorite UNIX ...)&nbsp; I just =
loaded=20
the 4.5 release of FreeBSD on my laptop.&nbsp; Everything seems to work =
great=20
(is it just my imagination, or is FreeBSD faster than current Linux=20
distributions?)&nbsp; As the system boots, it properly identifies my =
wireless=20
NIC (SMC 2632W) and appears to load the appropriate drivers - the =
interface is=20
identified as wi0.&nbsp; When I attempt to manually ifconfig it, it =
comes up and=20
links with the access point.&nbsp; But, if I try to ping anything else =
on the=20
network, I get "wi0: watchdog timeout" errors and "host is down" error=20
messages.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>The only thing I've been able to find =
in the=20
archives mentions getting the latest Linux firmware from SMC - I loaded =
this and=20
rebooted, but it hasn't seemed to make any difference.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Any help would be appreciated.&nbsp; If =
this is the=20
wrong forum for this question, a gentle pointer in the right direction =
would=20
also be welcomed.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Lane</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0035_01C1D982.F8E99CC0--