Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 20:05:45 -0700
From:      "Pedro Giffuni S," <pgiffuni@fps.biblos.unal.edu.co>
To:        "freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Rumors of the death of Unix have been greatly exaggerated...

Here is an alternative view to the M$ problem seen by the former
Autodesk president:
http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/msapogee.html

in particular I enjoyed:
_____________
When I look at Microsoft's current product line (which I avoid doing as
much as possible, I must confess), the problem is not that it lacks
features--God, most of it has way too many features for its own good,
and I suspect 90% of the users never discover nor use a majority of
them--but that it is bug-infested junk. What users need is not
ActiveXYZ, the NanoGenetic TransSpecies API, etc., etc., endless etc.
but software which works properly and does not crash. Jamming 1.5
megabytes of roach-motel USER and GDI code into the kernel of NT 4.0 to
"improve performance" shows Microsoft lack the basic competence and/or
willingness to provide a reliable
operating system. And that has been a solved problem since the 1960's.
Now they're going to sell us a global distributed component model secure
multi-platform multi-media object oriented operating system. Right.

enjoy,
	Pedro.