Date:      	Wed, 20 Nov 1996 19:14:41 -0500
From:      Edward Ing <edward.ing@utoronto.ca>
To:        wp@ec.camitel.com
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org, questions@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   WP 7.0 For FreeBSD and Corel Suite

Hello,

I'll happily buy WP 7.0 for FreeBSD _but_ at $90 Canadian, not $495;
and if the price were $70 Canadian, I will shout on each street corner
about such a great offer from Corel to us free-UNIX users. (Please
remember -- free-UNIX users aren't corporations!

Furthermore I would happily buy the Corel Perfect Suite for $180 CAN,
and if the price were $70 Canadian, I will paint my chest with the
Corel Wordperfect logo and flash it to everyone I meet.

But more seriously, since we are on the subject of porting the Corel
Perfect suite, I
should tell you of a TOTALLY new marketing strategy which Corel should
take
with regard to its office suite. I was going to save it for my
cover-letter on my resume,
but what the heck, here it is:

Microsoft's Office Suite is entrenched in the market and it is very
unlikely
that anyone will dislodge it, though one may gain a profitable market
segment.
Secondly, Microsoft with its monopolistic practices will always have an
advantage
in developing such application software because it is the designer of
the operating
system on which the applications will run. Short of a marketing
blunder Microsoft will rule the Suite market for Win95, WinNT, and
Win3.1.

Then what is the weakness in Microsoft's marketing strategy which can be
exploited? -- The weakness of their OS -- namely WinNT.
The weakness of NT is that it is not entrenched in the the
server/workstation
marketplace. It is steadily gaining acceptance, but it is not
entrenched. If another
equally or more powerful and significantly cheaper (even free
operating system) were available, it could gain acceptance readily
(though probably with considerable marketing effort, at first, to
enlighten buyers.) If this new operating system were to be significantly
competive with WindowsNT, then the market would be wide open for all
vendors of Suite applications willing to develop applications for this
new operating system. (An if one vendor were to have a lead in the
development cycle, it might gain a significant market share. ;-) )

There is such an operating system and it is FreeBSD UNIX (or Linux
though the latter's unstructured development strategy makes it less
stable).
It has full internet capabilites. On an intel 386 machine it (FreeBSD)
can serve as a workstation and as a server. Also it can function
as a router. It comes with and runs X-windows applications. Thousands
of pieces of software run on it and hundreds of these applications
are included in the initial purchase. It comes with NFS and NIS and
comes with a LAN Manager server software (Samba). Furthermore it can
turn your old 386s and 486s into an intranet server. A server running
FreeBSD can act as a LAN Manager server, a http server, a database
server and
as an application work station (and as JAVA SERVER AND CLIENT with some
work) at the same time. With the existence of this software there
is really no need for anyone to Pay $800 US to get and NT sever when
he can get this equally, if not more, powerful operating system,
for $24.95 on one CD-ROM or for free off the internet. There
are difficulties with FreeBSD from an ease-of-use point of view and
from the point of view of someone looking for compatibility with the
latest whiz-bang gadgets, but these deficiencies can be overcome by the
following marketing and software development strategy.

If Corel is serious about dislodging Microsoft from its near
monopolistic
dominance in the Suite's market, it might consider doing the following:

1. Develop its commercial office suite software for FreeBSD or Linux
(or  both) and market it for a reasonable price.

2. Commit software engineers to participate in developing FREE software
to make FreeBSD (or Linux) a more manageable and useable for UNIX
novices. This would include the development of a better (and free)
X-Windows manager, the development of an easier installation and
configuration process for both UNIX server components and widely
used application servers (--actually the UNIX installation is
quite easy as it is, but it probably can be improved--) , and the
development of drivers for the latest and greatest devices.

3. Commit marketing personnel and technical staff to sell the virtues
of the newly packaged FreeBSD OS and Corel-WP office suite bundle and
provide
technical support. This incredible operating system should and can be
included FREE
as part of the WP software, or office suite software. Corel might even
adapt FreeBSD and market it as a central JAVA server for its new
upcoming
JAVA office suite.  This would be the first complete workstation/server,
internet/intranet
ready operating system and office suite bundle solution, as far as I
know.
(Corel might even be able to get a foot hold into the database system
market.)

Now, I must make some comments on item 2.

First, Corel may be reluctant to participate in developing freely
distributable software but this is not new. Sun's development of Java,
Microsofts development of Explorer, and Apple's participation in the
development of Linux for PowerMac demonstrate the advantage of
developing
free software. It allows profit-making corporations to get foot holds
into new potential markets. Corel's participation in the development of
free components for FreeBSD will help make FreeBSD more widely useable
and in turn will provide Corel with a new market for its Office Suite
for FreeBSD.

Secondly, a better windows manger incorporated with a graphical system
manger will make FreeBSD as user friendly as WindowsNT for those with
command-line phobia. Hard core command-line UNIX addicts can still use
their UNIX shells.

Thirdly, putting considerable resource into the development and testing
of
drivers will make FreeBSD useable to a wide segment of the intel market
for the present and for the future and thus create wide market for
office
suite applications.

This is a viable strategy, if Corel is willing to put some resources
behind
it. By this strategy Corel can exploint the chink in Microsofts armour.

(And, heck, if you need someone to hire to help you get this done,
e-mail me.)

Edward Ing.