Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2006 17:26:22 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@HiWAAY.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 17" or 19"

--ijywFOGgtBfiIjQx

On Wednesday,  2 August 2006 at 21:00:43 -0500, David Kelly wrote:

> On Aug 2, 2006, at 6:55 PM, Nikolas Britton wrote:
>
>> Me? I'd go for two monster 22 inch CRTs, or three 19 inch CRTs.
>
> So lacking in imagination we are. Don't settle for anything less than
> 30"
> http://www.apple.com/displays/

The real question is resolution, not size.  Even the 30" display has a
resolution of only 2560x1600.  A reasonable 19" CRT will do 1600x1200,
or nearly 50% of that resolution.  If you compare the prices ($2499
for the Apple display, about $130 for the 19" monitor), and recall
that the original poster didn't want to spend much money, this really
isn't an option.

More to the point, though, it's not until you get to the 23" screen
that you get the same resolution as my Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop has
(1920x1200).  At $1299, it costs nearly as much as the laptop.

Last month I was in this situation myself.  I bought 2 new 19"
monitors (BenQ P992), for about USD 130 a piece.  I'm running them at
1600x1200, and they're surprisingly good.  It could be a long time
before I find an LCD with that resolution at even close to a
comparable price.  On the other hand, if HDTV ever comes off, we can
expect to see a lot of 1920x1080 or 1920x1200 displays at reasonable
prices.

Greg

--ijywFOGgtBfiIjQx

--ijywFOGgtBfiIjQx--