Date:      Mon, 2 Sep 1996 22:17:18 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Stefan Esser <se@zpr.uni-koeln.de>
To:        "L. S. Colby" <lscolby@ibm.net>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: itcl and star office

L. S. Colby writes:
 > Hello:
 >
 > Is a port of itcl 2.1 planned? If so is there a time frame?
 >
 > Star office has been ported to linux as an elf exe requiring motif
 > runtimes or perhaps lestiff.

I managed to install and run Star Office using the
Linux emulator and a pre-compiled Lesstif library.

It is not very stable (but it was announced as a
pre-BETA), and speed is comparable to the early UNIX
versions of Wordperfect (slooow ...)

But at least Star Office allows me to load and edit
a Word document under FreeBSD. Though I did not yet
manage to print anything, which would have been one
of my major uses. (There are quite a few Word ".doc"
files floating around, since some vendors seem to
assume, this was the ultimate exchange format :)

Do not underestimate the effort to install Star Office!
It takes at least 60MB of disk space, and you better
have 32MB of RAM if you really intend to start it ...

Regards, STefan