Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 12:36:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>, phk@critter.tfs.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...

On Mon, 26 Feb 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Most VLB motherboards have a single bus master slot, the one closest
> to the edge of the motherboard.
>
> Bus master DMA from a VLB controller will not cause the L2 and L1 caches
> to be updated/invalidated unless it is in a master slot.
>
> Not all VLB motherboards have even a single master slot.
>
> Each VLB transfer steals cycles from DRAM refresh.  You can only
> steal so many cycles before your system becomes unstable.  Generally,
> this is the number of cycles stolen by two slots.
>

> If you disable your L1 and L2 cache and jumper in more wait states, you
> can successfully use 2 VLB devices.
>
> But then why bother?

Interesting..  Because I traditionally have put my video card in the
first slot.  At any rate, I now have a VLB SVGA card and a VLB
busmastering SCSI controller, and my system works (with both caches
enabled) so I'm happy, but I wouldn't recommend VLB to anyone else, with
PCI motherboards as inexpensive as they are now!

Oddly, once I added SCSI, I started getting many CRC errors from my
internal modem, and after trying literally dozens of combinations of IRQs
and ports, I decided to reset it to the settings I was using before
(COM3, IRQ9), and move it to a different slot (one of the VLB slots even
though it is an 8-bit card).  Now it works fine!  Go figure...  :-)

---Jake