Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 20:21:38 -0500 (EST)
From:      <scanner@jurai.net>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDi's replies to why BSDi sucks...

On Mon, 12 Mar 2001, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> Well, some background you might be missing is that Bill Huey it a
> know-it-all little [--redacted--] who has been waltzing onto IRC and
> telling BSDI employees what he thinks is wrong with the management of
> the company and the OSD division since quite a while *before* he ever
> managed to get himself employeed as an engineer by the BSD/OS division
> (the OSD division wouldn't touch him).

Perhaps so. Even if he is a world class dork. There has to be some truth
to his remarks. And even though others have said he does not speak for
BSDi, it's hard to discount what he says since he works there AND he is
the only one talking. And yes for the record I admit I was really mad
after hearing this and should of waited to send the mail when I had time
to sleep and think. Wouldnt be the first time the lists have been hit with
rash email. But I still should of waited.

Like I said it's hard to discount what he says regardless of his attitude
and personality when no one else @ BSDi is talking. And BSDi isn't doing
anything publically to give any different perception then the negative
one already out there. I know i'm not the only person concerned about the
direction or lack thereof about FreeBSD's future. And as much as I hate to
burst PHK's bubble that most of the userbase is lazy, elitist and
worthless, some of us like myself have done a FSCKload of advocacy for
FreeBSD at great expense financially in the real world. And over the years
that leads to building quite an attachment to FreeBSD and getting riled
when roadblocks are put in it's way.

As tactless as I am most of the time the concern here is genuine about
FreeBSD getting the support and funding it deserves from BSDi. Which in
BSDi?" "Good question." And other then the sugar coated "Bill is a nutcase
who doesn't speak for BSDi and everything is rosy" comments would it be so
horrible to expect some kind of a routine section on the BSDi site about
happenings in the OSD side? Clearly things are not rosy and it would
alleviate alot of my concerns that BSDi is shafting the OSD side if there
was more information available about the going's on of the OSD side. And
if I thought I was the only would who felt some concern here, I would not
even bother to post. Normally I don't spew garbage to the list. And while
for some this may border on a waste of bits, some people do care what
happens to FreeBSD. And I have had time to cool off and don't feel like
storming BSDi, for the moment. :-)

-Chris Watson         (316) 326-3862 | FreeBSD Consultant, FreeBSD Geek
Work:              scanner@jurai.net | Open Systems Inc., Wellington, Kansas
Home:  scanner@deceptively.shady.org | http://open-systems.net
WINDOWS: "Where do you want to go today?"
LINUX: "Where do you want to go tommorow?"
BSD: "Are you guys coming or what?"