Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:44:19 +0200
From:      Joakim Henriksson <murduth@rmstar.campus.luth.se>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@pinnacle.co.nz>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why not on ftp.freebsd.org?

> > Because the java porters don't have access to ftp.freebsd.org.  Since
> > ftp.freebsd.org is one of if not *THE* largest ftp site in the world
> > (and not just a freebsd site), access is not giving out.
> >
> > > That way it'd be mirrored all over the world (rather
> > > than just sitting on www.freebsd.org) and we could all access
> > > it in a timely manner.
> >
> > www.freebsd.org is also mirrored all over the world as well.
>
> Well, it is a pity about the lack of ftp access. Trying to download
> off the Web-Page tends to be *very* slow compared to ftp for some
> reason.
>
> And I've just tried the ftp site listed only to time out... Maybe I'll
> wait a week or 2 when the rush stops.

And it is likely to do that for a while :/ The VAX that runs ftp.luth.se is currently slightly ill (it doesn't boot), and soon they will cut the power for the computer hall for rebuilds. For a good picture of it follow http://www.ludd.luth.se/gallery/ludd1/1/ftp.luth.se_mark_IV-4.jpg and you will know that it won't easily be moved or supplied with power and cooling :) When all the vacations are over and the school starts again someone will kick it and apply liberal amounts of contact spray and all should be well again.

--
regards/ Joakim