Date:      Thu, 3 Aug 2006 16:20:37 +0200
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Tyler Spivey <tspivey@pcdesk.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: install 6.1-release through serial terminal?

Am 27.07.2006 um 09:17 schrieb Tyler Spivey:

> Hello. I'm a blind user, and was wondering how to get 6.1-release to
> install over serial. I've tried everything - hitting option 6, space,
> boot -h <cr>, but nothing happens. unplugging the keyboard, nothing
> happens. hitting space and typing boot -h - nothing. This is using a
> cdrom disc1.
> Any help would be appreciated.

When the boot menu appears, exit out of it by typing 6. At the loader
prompt, enter
set console="comconsole"

The console should switch to COM1; then you should be able to boot
using the "boot" command. You can change the speed of the serial port
by setting comconsole_speed to the desired baud rate. The loader man
page has more info on these two variables: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/
man.cgi?query=loader&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.1-
RELEASE&format=html

After having finished the install, you can use the same method to
temporarily switch to the comconsole on first boot. Then, you
probably want to a a file /boot.config with a single line "-Dh" to
enable dual console (video+serial).

Also useful: if you decide to install FreeBSD's master boot record
(boot0) in sector 0 of your disk (that gives you the opportunity to
select which of the foour primary partitions to boot from by pressing
F1 to F4), there's also a variant that works over the serial console.
You can put this on using FreeBSD boot0cfg(8): http://www.freebsd.org/
cgi/man.cgi?query=boot0cfg&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+6.1-
RELEASE&format=html

HTH,
Stefan

--