Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:29:18 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        Josef El-Rayes <josef@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Tools of the trade on the *nix platform?

Josef El-Rayes wrote:

>Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>:
>

>>I'm a bit perplexed at what tools I should look at for web/html
>>authoring stuff as I just (finally, been playing with BSD since 4.7)
>>switched all the main computers around me to FreeBSD (Gnome 2.8 and XFce
>>4.2.... GTK2) from Windows when 5.3 was released.
>>-------------------
>>For generating layout and large amounts of code I'd use Dreamweaver or
>>some other popular WYSIWYG editor.
>>For generating CSS code I'd use Bradbury's TopStyle.
>>

>you dont need these wysiwyg editors, they create bad code.
>write the code yourself. the only help you need is an editor
>that has proper syntax highlighting and helps you with indenting.
>i use vi(m). i heard emacs is good too.
>
>-josef

lol, I knew someone was going to say that!

I like perl, what's that tell you? :-) Most of the time I do use a
programmers editor but for large amounts of code generation and layout
(Like  starting a brand new site or playing with layout ideas) you can't
beat it! As far as bad code, the only code thats bad code is one that
doesn't validate@W3C. did you read my whole post?, guess I should have
started with the programmers editor and ended with the wysiwyg.