Date:      Sun, 04 Jan 1998 02:23:56 -0800
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD Java Apps?

Curious, are people using FreeBSD to develop Java apps ?

>From my brief exposure to jdk1.1.5 , Swing, Beans, etc.., it seems
that there is enough critical infra-structure to create useful apps
also there are plenty of lessons there in OO methodology --
actually Java looks more like a cross-road of OO techniques.

This is the  have been trying to solve for FreeBSD :
Provide or highlight a technology which people can actually use
to develop applications.

My first venture was to port X to 386bsd 0.0 , then
porting of Inteviews, and later on tcl . Must say that neither of
those technologies have been sufficient or catalysts for
developing applications.

So is Java the technology which will launch application development
in FreeBSD??

When I am more up to speed on Java , my test target application will be
a graphical front-end for my Pilot 8)

	Cheers,
	Amancio