Date:      Wed, 27 Aug 1997 17:19:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Pechter <pechter@lakewood.com>
To:        Shimon@i-Connect.Net (Simon Shapiro)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ? power outages and file system corruption

> Hi Bill Pechter;  On 27-Aug-97 you wrote:
>

> Would maybe.  System V rlelease from the Labs did not.  Niether did BSD, or
> we will have this code in FreeBSD.  No?

The problem is most PC's have no battery backup or memory control register
that shows the batteries had failed.

VAX hardware would init memory if the register showed that memory was just
powered up.  It the memory was ok and still valid it would pull a restart
vector off the stack and run...

The issue is hardware.  I've seen Unix systems from three vendors (Including
AT&T and BSD based stuff) do this.  (Didn't Ultrix do this... SVR0 from
AT&T used to be able to handle this -- I know their later boxes did).

(moved to -chat since this isn't FreeBSD specific)

Bill
 Bill Pechter | 17 Meredith Drive Tinton Falls, NJ 07724 | 908-389-3592
 pechter@lakewood.com | Save computing history, give an old geek old hardware.
 This msg brought to you by the letters PDP and the number 11.