Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 01:24:56 +0000
From:      "Frank Pawlak" <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        Gary Kline <kline@tera.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Does it's true?

On Jun 28,  4:32pm, Jason C. Wells wrote:
> Subject: Re: Does it's true?
> On Sun, 28 Jun 1998, Frank Pawlak wrote:
>
> *** snipped a bunch about weapons and design ***
>
> >turned into hamburger on the spot.  This is strictly an assault weapon, that
> >does not belong in the hands of any civilains for any reason, just by nature
of
> >design.
>
> I did not comment on the design of firearms but I do know the difference
> between semi and fully automatic. You will see other comments in this
> thread that I make about semiauto weapons.

Indeed you did not.  I needed it to solidify my argument.

> I agree totally. I am in complete agreement with the Federal Firearms act
> of 1934 which prohibits the ownership of fully automatic weapons and other
> weapons of mass destruction.
>
> On the causes of crime and the effect punishment has there can be much
> debate because it is such an obtuse subject. I might in turn argue that
> Saudi Arabia has a low crime because of it's terrible punishments. I might
> argue that Switerzland has low crime because everyone is armed. I think
> such comparisons must be considered carefully. The US is not Switzerland
> or Saudi Arabia.

What role does culture play in all of this?

> This still leaves us with how to end murderousness in the US. I do not
> think the death penalty will achieve this. Nor do I propose to abolish the
> death penalty. What I do believe is that mutual repsect for fellow
> citizens and for the law can reduce murderousness.

Than what purpose does the death penalty serve?  If it is inefective why keep
it around?  Your last statement is true.

> How I would achieve this respect is difficult, but it includes a huge dose
> of education. Perhaps I have strayed from the "gun" issue here, but I
> think this statement follows from my fundamental position of "human"
> responsibilty. I don't believe in the "gun" problem but I do believe in
> the "human" problem.

So, because we have the problem the assumption is that those Americans that
kill their fellow man are uneducated.  I was totally unaware that all killers
had the intelligence of a plant.

This sounds a lot like the case for sex education.  Hormones have over run that
idea too.

> If we can "fix" the human condition then perhaps we may have peace.

Yup at last you grasp the problem.  How about a quick look at the total break
down of the moral fabric of a country?

Frank