Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 2002 20:56:29 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Heiko Recktenwald <uzs106@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de>
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   mpeg 4/divx

Hi folks, did some "research" in mpeg 4 availability and, as far
as I could see, there is no "ruling mpeg 4 standard" today.
DivX is more and more commercial and special, "standard hinted mpeg-4"
is something more and more completely different.

Has anybody ever been successfull in compiling the mpeg4ip.sourceforge.net
mpeg4ip-0.9.3 tarball ?

some utilities seem to work, but the mp4player doesnt.
you need gmake for it. Couldnt play or encode anything.

The whole "internet TV" scene seems to be driven by big money
expectations. Quicktime 6 has been stopped. Cant download the Philips
"mp4net webcine" player, all I currently have for "mpeg 4" is the envivio
plugin for the Real player on windows, which seems to work fine
(if you let the real player download it from the real site...) .

The biggest surprise was in man mp4creator, you can "optimize" mp4 to do
http streaming. You can check it out at
http://intra.b.lab.net/~uzs106/bla/optimized.ram
with real on windows. mp4creator seems to work here...

Sorry, if I am completely wrong with my impressions about DiVX, but...
Dont know if it are the players, that refuse to play "alien" files
or the files themselves. mpeg4ip seems to be based on some kind of divx
(see divxenc).

H.