Date:      Sun, 19 Apr 1998 14:42:06 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Malartre <malartre@aei.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: #freebsd-newbies on effnet.

On Sun, Apr 19, 1998 at 12:18:36AM -0400, Malartre wrote:
> Someone is interested to give bots for a #freebsd-newbies channel on
> effnet?

Oh? First you told us it was #BSD-Newbies, then #BSD-Help, and now you're
saying #freebsd-newbies? Hmmm... no wonder I couldn't find it :-)

> I think it should be a place for (maybe stupid) question about any
> newbie-related-thing

Who is going to answer the questions? What hours are they going to be
available? Or is it going to be newbies advising other newbies?

If I go to that channel and someone there tells me to run a particular
command, how do I know it is safe? That makes me nervous, what about you?

> anyone interested to support it?

Sure, it's a great idea, but let's get it well planned.

This isn't a company we're dealing with. Everything we want depends on
volunteers, and you know what that means :-)  You want to see something
happen, you do it yourself. If you can do it with the help of other newbies,
fine, you organise it. Encourage other newbies to help you, keep in touch
with them, work out between you who is going to do what. It's all up to you,
we don't have any shcoolmasters here :-)

It can be a bit hard for newbies because there's a lot we can't do without
others helping, and they only have so much time to help us if they are
already following their own good ideas, etc. Still, we have seen that there
*is* a lot we can do! It just takes energy and the ability to plan and
organise, and keep on working at it.

A few weeks ago we saw a number of people volunteer to help each other. Did
anyone follow this up? Did the volunteers sit back and wait to be asked to
do something? Did the other people wait for the volunteers to offer a second
time? This might feel like normal polite behaviour, but it won't work in our
case. You have this list to do your chatting, and you have each other's
email addresses now, so don't be shy and don't wait to be told what to do!

> (sorry for the cross-mailling on 2 mailling list)

I'm not sure how this is relevant to -chat so I'm just replying to -newbies.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more