Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 20:46:08 -0400
From:      "Dru" <genisis@istar.ca>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   vi woes, try again

I changed my email format, so I'll try again.

Hi everyone! I've been sitting here quietly for about 2 months and I
 guess it's time to join the foray.  As a newbie to both FreeBSD and
Unix in general, I haven't reached the first level yet as I'm still working
 out ppp and Xwindows. However, I've become quite proficient at vi.

Have to admit that it took about 2 configuration files and a sore ear
before I could remember to keep pressing escape; once ya get the
hang of it though, you can fly.  Now I have to remember not to press
escape when I'm not typing in vi.

Have found the vi tutorial in Unix Unleashed (chapter 7) invaluable as
it has many exercises and key strokes to speed you up that aren't
even listed in the manpages.  You can read this book for free at:
http://mcp.com/personal/  .  While you're there, peruse their ebooklist.
 I've never been to a computer store that offered such quality and
quantity, and the price is definitely right.  There's enough reading
there to keep me busy the next couple decades.

Hope I sent this message in the right email format; Sue will let me
know if I didn't.