Date:      Sun, 19 May 1996 12:08:11 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        plm@simplex.nl (Peter Mutsaers)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: internal compiler error

>   TL> I guarantee that I can make any code you can name run 50% faster.
>
>   TL> Provided it does not have to produce correct output (a condition you
>   TL> seem to be willing to accept).
>
> I think you are exaggerating a bit about the reliability of 2.7.2.

[ ... ]

> Who says 2.6.3 is bug free? There is always a small chance for
> compiler bugs. In those rare cases a workaround may be needed. I
> doubt that the latest release of 2.7.2 (2.7.2.9) has more bugs than
> 2.6.3 had.

2.6.3 is definitely *not* "bug free"... but as the saying goes, better
the devil you know.

There are already workarounds in the source tree for any 2.6.3 bugs,
but any 2.7.2 bugs not in 2.6.3 would have to have cruft added.

The problem with kruft is that it's rarely removed once added.

I wish the source control system could have "kruft tags" for branches
so that source changes made to accomodate compiler quirks were
easily seperable from source changes for other reasons.  But it
can't.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org