Date:      15 Jul 1996 05:17:43 -0400
From:      bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: system hangs? after resetting rtq_reallyold

In article <199607150758.AAA02464@root.com>,
David Greenman  <davidg@Root.COM> wrote:
:    It shouldn't be necessary to set NMBCLUSTERS that high on most "normal"
: systems. It would take several hundred TCP connections to exhaust 2000 mbuf
: clusters.

The machine in question is our main shell account server, which
also hosts our Web server. A netstat shows the following.  At 5AM.

 169 CLOSING
  65 ESTABLISHED
  15 FIN_WAIT_1
   5 FIN_WAIT_2
  16 LAST_ACK
   2 SYN_RCVD
   2 SYN_SENT
  34 TIME_WAIT

During peak hours, I expect two or three times those numbers.
The machine hasn't been rebooted in a month; it's used a maximum
of 2036 clusters.

Web servers in particular are going to want a large number of
mbufs.....