Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 17:22:05 -0500
From:      "Jack Velte" <jackv@earthling.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   GNOME, the threat that Microsoft can't stop.

http://www.feedmag.com/re/re173_master.html

An exclusive FEED interview with the man behind GNOME, the threat that
Microsoft can't stop.

Telecommutes don't get any bigger than this. The spearhead is a 26-year-old
system administrator in Mexico City who is struggling to finish up his
undergraduate degree in math. ("It's a problem," he says. "I just don't
enjoy math any more.") The guy responsible for the icons lives in Helsinki
and found out about the movement on Internet Relay Chat (IRC). The heart of
the desktop was coded by two Berkeley undergrads -- Class of '97 -- who
wrote a free version of Photoshop from scratch because they "wanted to make
a web page" -- it's now the graphics application for the system. And
somebody, somewhere, created in his or her free time "Wanda, the fish
applet" that runs on the bottom of the screen and tells the future.

Part of bottom navigation of Gnome, including Wanda the fortune-telling
fish.

No doubt that future is going to be damn interesting. All these people --
plus at least another 250 from around the planet -- are working on Gnome
1.0, a user-friendly, free operating system designed for you and me and
people like our parents. Gnome is part of Richard Stallman's GNU Project to
develop free software alternatives to proprietary code that dominates the
market. (Gnome stands for "GNU Network Object Model Environment.") Scheduled
for release in late February (don't tell anybody) after 14 months of heavy
development, Gnome is not intended to be another free software innovation
strictly for hardcore hackers. "This is aimed at regular users -- for home
users or kids or secretary-people," says Miguel de Icaza, the Gnome frontman
from Mexico City. "It's for people who are not trained to be programmers" --
namely, the millions stuck on Microsoft Windows or Macs or even OS/2 and not
happy about it.

It's an ambitious project, and one with an enormous amount of momentum.
Already Gnome has a word processor ("Go"), a spreadsheet ("Gnumeric"), a
calendar ("Gnomecal"), the aforementioned Photoshop clone ("Gimp"), even a
Tetris rip-off in Polish ("Gnometris"). Red Hat Labs, the research and
development facility at one of the best-known free software distributors, is
behind it. The lab's director Dr. Mike has dedicated a team of developers to
working on it: "My primary satisfaction is knowing that Gnome will allow
non-technical users to enjoy the same powerful OS that I have for so long."

In this interview, Gnome creator Miguel de Icaza talks about the project,
the dangers of "overestimating Microsoft," and the challenge of getting an
open source project off the ground.

-- Austin Bunn