Date:      Wed, 27 May 2009 17:00:37 -0400 (EDT)
From:      vogelke+unix@pobox.com (Karl Vogel)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another uptime story

>> On Wed, 27 May 2009 09:02:08 -0500,
>> Andrew Gould <andrewlylegould@gmail.com> said:

A> You could write a script that sends uptime output and a start/stop
A> flag to a database when the system starts and stops.  This wouldn't
A> account for improper shutdowns, although you could tell when a "stop"
A> date/time was missing.

   I have a script which runs fping on a bunch of servers and writes
   a timestamp for any host that answers.  It's run every minute from
   cron on our loghost.  Another script watches the results and sends
   me an IM if any of my boxes fails to respond for 3 minutes.

   I can put up a tarball if anyone's interested.

--
Karl Vogel                      I don't speak for the USAF or my company

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to
be bought and sold are legislators.  --P.J. O'Rourke, "Parliament of Whores"