Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:05:01 -0400
From:      Timothy Luoma <freebsd@tntluoma.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: M2 (Opera) Re: What are people using for MUA's nowadays?

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 02:48:31 +0200, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
wrote:

> At 8:18 PM -0400 2003/09/22, Timothy Luoma wrote:
>
> 	Ahh.  The PowerMail solution.  Right.  Dunno about M2, but I did try
> PowerMail.  I liked it, I really did.  Problem was the database wasn't
> robust enough, and kept getting slightly slower as I added more and more
> mail.  I've got mail going back to 1992.  I've got multiple gigabytes of
> mail.  PowerMail choked.

I don't have that much mail, but I was able to use it with 60k messages in
an early alpha version.

> 	So, what kind of database does M2 use?  Is M2 available for MacOS X?

The mechanics are beyond me.  M2 is not yet for MacOSX IIRC.

> 	Access Points are basically just "views" into a database table.
> PowerMail has been using the "views" name for quite a while.

Actually M2 uses that name too.  When you create your own filter it is
called a "View"

> 	Does it have integrated Bayesian anti-spam filtering?  How is it at
> applying rules in general to "access points"?  I have yet to find
> anything that is as good as or better than Eudora, especially Eudora 6,
> when it comes to filtering -- save possibly procmail.

The spam filter in M2 is not great ATM but I believe it is a planned
improvement for the not-too-distant future

procmail rocks.  I love procmail.  Nothing is going to beat procmail.

M2 uses the List-Id: header for the mailing list access points.  You can
choose your own filters as well.

Can you get Eudora for FreeBSD?

>>  Email is also easier to sort and find, because I can store things
>>  however I want to. Searches are done very quickly, I assume because
>>  of the way that Opera stores the mail. Which reminds me, that is
>>  another thing I like about M2: it stores mail in plain-text format.
>
> 	I'm confused.  I thought you said it used a database?

Well, perhaps I'm a bit confused as well, or perhaps I should have said it
was "like" a database.  Mail is actually stored (in plain text) in files
or multiple files on the hard drive, but via M2 the best way to understand
it is like a database.

Again, the technical part of it is a little beyond me, so I may not be
explaining it well.

TjL

--
<del>Toying with the idea of putting</del> Planning to install FreeBSD
<ins>4.8-RELEASE</ins> on a Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop