Date:      Mon, 5 Jan 1998 12:32:23 -0500
From:      "Alfred Perlstein" <perlsta@sunyit.edu>
To:        "David E. Wexelblat" <dwex@DataFocus.com>, "'devel@XFree86.Org'" <devel@XFree86.Org>
Cc:        <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: interested in working on windows port (sorry for cross post)

> Who is your target audience?  Why on earth would I set up
> a windows box that is doing nothing but running X?  This
> seems extraordinarily useless - if I wanted a dedicated
> X machine, I'd run Linux on it.
>
> The only reason to put X on a Windows PC is interoperability.

no, that's not my point, being able to ALT-TAB or ctrl-esc out of it to
task switch would be my point, not a lot of people want to install a
300+meg O/S just so they can get X. the reason i came up with the idea is
that I'm at a college dorm, SUNYtech in NY, anyhow my roomates are always
raving on about how unix is cool and easier to write programs on and blah
blah blah... but they are not keen on installing it instead of win95 for
several reasons, the disk space, the ton of configuration that has to be,
and possible incomadible video cards.  therefore if there was a fast free X
server out there it would be very useful, ie. double click... MS-word,
alt+tab... X...

plus imagine how much distribution and press a free and _FAST_ (unlike the
microimages server) would get if it would run under '95.

-Alfred