Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 10:51:46 -0700
From:      David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
Cc:        Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>, freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Beta FreeBSD search engine

Thus spake Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>:
> > Why would you want /usr/src/* indexed?  What would you be looking for?
>
> This reminds me of Rich Morin's Meta Project. It indexes man pages,
> source, and other "metadata" that can be browsed, searched with keywords,
> regular expression searches(?). But the demo seems broken at this
> moment.
>
> http://www.cfcl.com/Meta/mdinfo.html

I think a special-purpose search engine would be better suited for
indexing source code.  There are different considerations for how
queries ought to be matched, and other important differences
between C and English.  For example, if I entered `mmap', the most
relevant result ought to be the implementation of mmap(), not the
dozens of uses of it.  And of course, cross-referencing would be a
boon.  Then again, just about anything is better than the way I
presently search /usr/src, namely recursive grep.