Date:      Thu, 2 Jul 1998 11:59:42 +0100
From:      "Ian O'Friel" <ian.ofriel@ndirect.co.uk>
To:        <Freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   I will sort out the Majordomo arguement........

It IS possible to unsubscribe another subscriber on FreeBSD and If you want
proof, just go ahead and challenge me.........

Firstly, open up a telnet connection on ANY mail server as long as you
remember to telnet to port 25 (SMTP).

Type 'HELO <any fake domain here>'
type 'mail FROM:<the unlucky person's e-mail>
type 'rcpt TO:<majordomo@freebsd.org>
type 'data'
type 'unsubscribe freebsd-<listname>'
type '.' (a single full stop to signal End of Data)

There you go, you have happily unsubscribed someone from a FreeBSD
list...... Here is an example in case you are still bewildered......

helo my.domain.com
mail FROM:<fewtch@serv.net>
rcpt TO:<majordomo@freebsd.org>
data
    unsubscribe freebsd-newbies
    unsubscribe freebsd-questions
    unsubscribe freebsd-stable
    .

I would now have unsubscribed Tim from the above lists. One Warning though,
learn to type without using the backspace key, so no mistakes allowed, If
you hit the Backspace key the SMTP port will probably reject the command
unless it is in the data segment, in which case it will send a strange
character and Majordomo will ignore it........

I have never unsubscribed anyone on the Freebsd lists but I have done it to
others on other lists, don't doubt that this works, it does, and like I
said, if you don't believe me, Challenge me.........

Ian O'Friel