Date:      Wed, 27 May 2009 22:32:49 +0100
From:      Bruce Cran <bruce@cran.org.uk>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Graham Bentley <admin@cpcnw.co.uk>
Subject:   Re: UK Keyboard in 7.2 console and xorg

On Wed, 27 May 2009 23:10:24 +0200 (CEST)
Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:

> > I have jsut loaded up 7.2, fetched the ports and installed xorg /
> > fluxbox etc  - for first time my kb / mouse didnt work in xorg but
> > now I have that sorted with enabling hald etc
> >
> sorry if stupid question, but have xorg got radical changes within
> last months?
>=20
> I never needed hald to have keyboard and mouse under X working. it's
> all just matter of xorg.conf, and keyboard and mouse just need
> setting a type (like polish in my case).
>=20
> > However, I have noticed that the GBP symbol does not work? In
> > console I get a beep, in xorg nothing. I have tried iso and cp850
> > keymaps

=46rom /usr/ports/UPDATING:

20090123:
  AFFECTS: users of x11-servers/xorg-server
  AUTHOR: rnoland@FreeBSD.org

  If you are using an older xorg.conf several config lines are
  no longer needed and will generate warnings when X is started.
  RgbPath will cause X to fail to start, remove it from your config.

  Server 1.5.3 also really wants to configure its input devices
  via hald.  This is causing some issues with moused and
  /dev/sysmouse.  There are a couple of options for how to deal
  with it.
  [...]

What this means is that to get a UK keyboard layout in xorg you need a
file in /usr/local/etc/hal/fdi/policy/

I've named my copy 10-x11-keyboard.fdi and it contains:

<?xml version=3D"1.0" encoding=3D"ISO-8859-1"?>
<deviceinfo version=3D"0.2">
  <device>
    <match key=3D"info.capabilities" contains=3D"input.keyboard">
      <merge key=3D"input.x11_driver" type=3D"string">kbd</merge>
      <merge key=3D"input.x11_options.XkbRules" type=3D"string">xorg</merge>
      <merge key=3D"input.x11_options.XkbModel"
      type=3D"string">microsoft</merge> <merge
      key=3D"input.x11_options.XkbLayout" type=3D"string">gb</merge>

--=20
Bruce Cran