Date:      Sat, 11 Dec 2004 16:52:09 -0200
From:      Cesar Mello <cmello@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xircom Realport ethernet on FreeBSD 5.3

Hi Scott,

Thank you guys a lot for the replies!

> I don't know the 300CT - is this an older model with 16-bit PCMCIA (ie. not
> CardBus) slots?

I think so, because this is an old machine (Pentium 133 with 32 MB of
RAM) I bought just to have some "mobile" processing power. :-)

> If so, it might not work with the NEWCARD drivers that are
> the default in 5.3.  The OLDCARD framework is still supported but not in
> the GENERIC kernel - you will need to build a new kernel from the OLDCARD
> config file (/usr/src/sys/i386/conf/OLDCARD).

That's good news. I am at work now, so I'll build a kernel with
OLDCARD when I get home.

> The RealPort card itself is definitely supported by the xe driver, so if we
> can get your system to recognise the card it should work just fine.
> Could you post a copy of /var/run/dmesg.boot from your machine to the list?
> We can check if there are any PCCARD drivers being loaded and whether it's
> worthwhile trying the OLDCARD kernel.

I had checked the kernel messeges and found nothing with "pccard", so
I guess that's the problem. To be honest, some months ago when I
bought this machine, I tried FreeBSD 5.2.1 and could get the pccard
driver working after building a custom kernel, but the network didn't
start up anyway. So as I didn't have much time, I decided to wait for
FreeBSD 5.3 and try Gentoo for a while (which worked nice but I'm not
a big fan of GPL :-).

Thank you a lot!

Best regards,
Cesar