Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:12:55 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Thomas G. Cleghorn" <tommygun@uunet.co.za>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to mount a CD.........in 250 easy steps

> > Hi there,
> >         Im a relative newbie. I installed BSD 3.2 with no problems from
> > the 4 volume CD set. I then decided Id like to look through the CD myself
> > and try to mount it, how......
>
> If you installed from the cdrom, you already have an entry for it in
> /etc/fstab.
>
> 'mount /cdrom' is all you need to do.

:-) Another one not answering the question.

He got the CD mounted (eventually). What was not obvious enough
was what the cd device name was. He was very diligent about looking
for help himself (I know, 'cos he is in my office). There was _nothing_
to tell him that /dev/wcdoc was his IDE cdrom drive. He eventually
figured it out by getting sysinstall to mout the cd, and grokking
the output of "mount".

If you "man -k cd" or "man -k cdrom", there is no clue as to what
the device is. (I am at a total loss with this for non SCSI devices).
Tommy looked in Handbook, FAQ, man -k <lotsa shit> and the output of
dmesg(8).

Methinks he found the type of hole in our documentation that gives
software a bad name :-).

Mark Murray