Date:      Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:45:33 -0600
From:      Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>
To:        Josef El-Rayes <josef@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-www@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Tools of the trade on the *nix platform?

Josef El-Rayes wrote:

>Nikolas Britton <freebsd@nbritton.org>:
>

>>I like perl, what's that tell you? :-) Most of the time I do use a
>>programmers editor but for large amounts of code generation and
>>layout (Like  starting a brand new site or playing with layout
>>ideas) you can't beat it! As far as bad code, the only code thats
>>bad code is one that doesn't validate@W3C. did you read my whole
>>post?, guess I should have started with the programmers editor and
>>ended with the wysiwyg.
>>

>its just my opinion.
>validate code does not mean it is 'good code'. when i see
>something like <h1></h1> its valid, but it unnecessariliy
>blows up the html file. and wysiwyg editors tend to create
>such things, at least when i used to have them in use
>(5 years back).

If you do things right in dreamweaver like set it to produce XHTML code
and Cross Browser support the code is fairly clean. Alot of the time I
just use it to make complex table layouts etc. and then do everything
else by hand or something of the sorts.

>creating code out of clicking around
>with the mouse is a non-trivial task and this is why
>none of these kind of software creates code as good as
>one you write manually with your hand.

Anyone remember Microsoft's word HTML export :-O talk about bad code.

>when i play with layout ideas i take a pencil and a sheet
>of paper. and then i turn it into code, with my favourite
>editor. thats the game.

Yea, It's fast doing it like that.... after you do that then you open up
the wysiwig and in 10mins you have your code and the only thing left to
do is clean it up and fine tune it by hand.

>but, there are wysiwig editors for freebsd. just take
>a look in the ports collection (bluefish and quanta
>i remember, but i am not sure).

Thanks, and TMTOWTDI ;-)