Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 19:36:01 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jcwells@nwlink.com (Jason C. Wells)
Cc:        fran@reyes.somos.net (Francisco Reyes), chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: egroups now Yahoo groups ??? cool

> The domain makes the brand.  It is such a vacuous distinction.

I disagree.  Despite the work of DNSINT, I think that exposed
domain names may in fact go away at some point.

The value of a domain name today is pretty much non-existant,
as far as Internet space goes, since if you come in to a
default portal page, you just search for what you want, and
then click out to it via a link.  Alternately, you use your
"favorites" or "bookmarks", and click out that way.  There isn't
really any domain name typing involved, unless you pack-rat
things to the point of being unable to find the ones you want
easily.

I would be really interested in statistics on browsers, to know
what percentage have the "show location" region enabled vs.
disabled, but of course the browser morons aren't really thinking
of useful information like that, and would prefer to instrument
things that let them know your surfing patterns, since their
interest is in pushing advertising to you, not improving the
medium.

There is a nice example of this: the IETF working group DNSINT
was founded to allow the use of native languages in host names;
the true reasons for wanting this are to support non-linkable
objects in print, radio, television, and business card based
advertising.  The actual effect of this, particularly given the
unvarnished hatred the Japanese have for Unicode (due mostly to
it's use of Chinese dictionary order for the CJK unification),
will be to balkanize the domain name space into regions which
require character-set specific input methods, not available to
most people outside a given region.  A secondary effect will be
to tie DNS namespaces loosely to geopolitical controls; this
allows the Chinese, for instance, to put ideological controls
into effect on their borders.

These are reall all emergent properties, but it makes my point,
that the domain/brand duality isn't quite as clear-cut as people
think; "common sense" really doesn't get you the right answer.

> I wonder what would happen if someone went way retro and handed
> out IP numbers.  "Welcome to 192.168.23.45, your source for
> widgets!"  (It would save hostmaster contacts a bunch of spam
> for one.)

Actually, you can send mail to "hostmaster@[192.168.23.45]", no
problem; see RFC 821 and the followon RFC's.  The best place to
do this is the RFC pages at http://208.184.76.42/ 8-) 8-).

> I really prefer the seperation of the different mediums of internet
> communication.  Lists are cool.  News is cool.  The web is cool.   Mashing
> it all together, IMO, results in something that is less than the sum of
> the parts.

It's called "federation".  You should look at the O'Reilly project
which federates news outlets.  It lets them take XML article
descriptions, and provide them out there in a federated list, whic
is then displayed as "headlines" or "recent news" or whatever.

If you think about it, it's only a matter of time until article
rating on user postings are federated along with several standard
news outlets to provide an article stream personalized for a user
(in fact, non-rated auto-rating criteria engines are likely to be
a "next big thing" in this area -- remember that I have prior art on
this!).  That means that you really don't care if it was email to
a list which you subscribe to, a posting to a news group you subscribe
to, or the result of an ABC News "in depth" report: as long as it
meets your "worth noticing" criteria, you probably want it shown
on your "mynewspaper" page.

I'll agree that unicast email (email sent directly to you) in all
likelihood does not belong in the same place as your "broadcast"
mail subscriptions.

> I didn't particularly care for egroups.  I used them because that is where
> the content I desired was disseminated.

The real value in these things today really lies solely in the
fact that they maintain large archives.  As storageless web
access devices become more popular (yea!  The death of cookies!),
the ability to go in and look at "what's going on today", and
then traverse back into the archives will be more useful (not to
mention access via a mobile device with limited bandwidth, perhaps
via SMS, being aided by downloading headers but not bodies --
shades of NNTP and IMAP4 clients, and to a lesser extent, the POP3
"HEAD" command...).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---