Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 20:48:30 +0100
From:      "Thomas E. Zander" <riggs@hadiko.de>
To:        Volker Stolz <stolz@hyperion.informatik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Several mplayer issues

Hi,

On Mon, 24. Dec 2001, at 12:45 +0100, Volker Stolz wrote
according to [Several mplayer issues]:

> 1) mplayer -vo dga switches to a black screen, audio and ffw/rew
> work, but no picture on XFree 4, DGA is enabled, gfx card
> is a Voodoo 3 AGP. There are no warnings or related messages in
> the logs.

-vo dga never worked for me, I think there are many machines having
this problem.

> 2) Playback on a P-III@750 in fullscreen is too slow?!
> Is this right? The machine has lots of RAM and UDMA drives.
> I get the best results with sdl, but have to live with skipped
> frames or desynched audio/video :-(
> mplayer was compiled from source and I made sure that MMX & SSE
> are available.

No, 750 MHz are definitely NOT too slow. On my K7/1000 machine it takes
about 40% CPU for fullscreen using sdl/x11/xv driver on a Matrox G200.
Is it really slow or do you mean mplayer's stupid error message that
"your system is too slow to play this"? This always happens when a
single frame cannot be displayed, e.g. because of switching to a
different workspace of your windowmanager.

> 3) mplayer -vo gl[2] will throw X into a hissy fit, leaving me
> with a core dump from XFree :-(

This sometimes happens here, too. In the other cases, gl and gl2 are
just very slow and so I don't use it.
This X crash problem is afaik caused by XFree, not mplayer.

Regards,
Riggs

--
- "[...] I talked to the computer at great length and
-- explained my view of the Universe to it" said Marvin.