Date:      Thu, 21 Nov 1996 11:46:34 +0100 (MET)
From:      cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer)
To:        syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au (Stephen McKay)
Cc:        cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, syssgm@devetir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: benchmark

> cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de (Martin Cracauer) wrote:
>
> [Martin beats on NT for a while, then, surprisingly, has a go at Unix too]
>
> >Don't understand me wrong, Unix is junk, the whole concept to dump
> >output as loose ascii data to stadout and rescan it in the next pipe
> >citizen is ... l can't find words.
>
> If I read you right, you are complaining about the ability to easily supply
> the output from one program as input for another program.  This is so

No, no. What I'm complaining about is that this communication is pure
Ascii without any layout specification, not to speak if communication
using real "objects" with type information.

> amazingly useful, such a wondrously flexible tool, that I am stunned that
> anyone could slight it.  Compare this vs the monolithic can't-get-at-the-
> workings-of-anything stuff typical of DOS/Windows.

This was a misunderstanding. Of course I hate tools that do all their
work on their own. While the Unix way is a solution to this problem,
it is a quick-and-dirty one. It's the only way to get my work done and
a real reason why I use Unix, but I don't have to pretend it's
perfect.

> If you keep talking like this you'll never get a free beer out of me!

I more in favor of sugar-containing drinks, but since this has been a
misunderstanding anyway :-)

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer@wavehh.hanse.de>