Date:      Fri, 05 Apr 2002 21:22:50 +0100
From:      Jean-Mark Dupoux <jmdupoux@lineone.net>
To:        newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        irado <irado@subdimension.com>
Subject:   Re: hub.freebsd.org spam policy

I cant help agreeing that something  has  gone a little wrong with the
filtering - i've definitely had one or two problems  myself.

A particular thing which surprised me was that I couldnt post from any
online  mail services any more - If I wanted to sign into my regular
email on the web  from work for example, then my posts  got bounced.  I
tried  with  3 different services, Yahoo and 2 regular  dial-up service
providers which (like most in the UK) have web-based email facilities as
well as POP3 email, and  all my messages  got rejected consistantly.

Now I cant say this for sure, but my guess would have been that webmail
makes a poor platform to attempt to spam from in comparison to a
"normal" email account as you usually only have  access to basic
composition and addressing tools. Most webmail sites  also now have
virus scanning built-in, so isnt this  one case at least where the
filtering could use some refinement ?  blocking out every web-based
email service which the system seems to do means people can only post
from their home boxes

Jean-Mark Dupoux
jmdupoux@lineone.net