Date:      Mon, 27 Oct 1997 22:06:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      cgull+usenet-878007340@smoke.marlboro.vt.us (john hood)
To:        Babumpabajard <knollm@lafcol.lafayette.edu>
Cc:        cgull+usenet-877838850@smoke.marlboro.vt.us (john hood), hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Harddrive powerdowns

Babumpabajard writes:
 > At 12:09 AM 10/26/97 -0400, you wrote:
 > >Mike Smith writes:
 > > > The wd driver times the operation out and retries it.  AFAIR most
 > > > operations are tried at least 3 times before giving up.
 > >
 > >And in -current, the driver now waits longer (10s) before the first
 > >retry, eliminating those nattering errors.
 >
 > I can not figure out why my HD is spinning up so frequently.  I set the
 > time down to 1 minute, with no one logged in, only process other than
 > defualt but sshd, and the system still reads.  There's 48megs of RAM, so I
 > can't immagine it needs to swap.
 >
 > Is there a way to determine what is using my harddrive?

I'd run top and see what's in a disk wait while the disk is spinning
up.  My wild guess is cron writing its log file everytime atrun is
run every 5 minutes.

  --jh

--
Mr. Belliveau said, "the difference was the wise,       John Hood,     cgull
intelligent look on the face of the cow."  He was      	                   @