Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 15:14:38 -0800
From:      Gregory Sutter <gsutter@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org, freebsd-chat@freebsd.org, announce@bafug.org
Subject:   Windows Refund Day: Bay Area Report

FreeBSD folk,

This report is being written from the CoffeeNet, where we've all met
after the event in Foster City.  We didn't exactly "storm the Gates",
but both the Linux and FreeBSD communities turned out in force,
accompanied by a couple of others (I saw a Sun and an SCO person).
We got to the parking garage where the Microsoft "welcome table" was
set up.  There were Microsoft-sponsored refreshments and a lot of
press, including many major stations.

A few of us grabbed some press members with cameras and headed for
the main entrance.  We arrived and were greeted by a friendly
Microsoft security guard, who told us that we were not allowed to go
up to the ninth floor (where the Microsoft offices are).  When the
press members began questioning her, she called another person, who
apparently called security, because they showed up long before any
Microsoft representative would talk to us.

I was interviewed by several press members at this time, right from
the lobby of the Microsoft office.  Several others had arrived by this
time and we were becoming more forceful in our attempts to get to the
Microsoft Office.  People began getting on the elevators, only to find
that they had been locked down so that nobody could visit the ninth
floor.  those going to the tenth and using the stairs found that the
stair doors were locked from the inside as well, so nobody actually got
into the office.  (Later, they locked the elevators down completely.)

After twenty minutes or so of increased numbers of refund attempters, a
person claiming to be a Microsoft representative appeared.  While
several of us attempted to get some straight answers out of him, he
would only give us the typical Microsoft doubletalk.  He handed out a
sheet explaining Microsoft's statement on the refund policy[1] and would
only echo what was contained on that paper.  Although several tried, we
were unable to get him to admit even that this was Microsoft policy and
not just a random statement.

Around this time, the rest of the group arrived and the press began
seriously interviewing everyone.  I saw Eric Raymond and many others
being questioned repeatedly on the purpose of the gathering and whether
Microsoft had issued a statement.  There was a _lot_ of mass media
presence at the event, and Microsoft's attempts to stonewall us at the
door didn't impress anyone.  I look forward to the news reports tonight
and tomorrow.

Toward the end, we all just stood in the courtyard and kibitzed before
finally breaking up around 1:45 to return to our regularly scheduled
activities (and a fine gathering at the CoffeeNet).  Gregory Sutter,
reporting for OSS News[2], signing off.

[1] For the full document, see <http://www.bafug.org/ms-letter.html>;
after 20:00 PST today.

[2] and Daemon News.

Greg
--
Gregory S. Sutter                     My reality check just bounced.
mailto:gsutter@pobox.com