Date:      Wed, 03 Oct 2007 18:32:18 +0400
From:      Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
To:        luizbcampos@gmail.com
Cc:        emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: SOS linux_base-fc4

Please, keep CC to emulation@ since you have better chances to get
help there instead of one person.

Please, don't top-post. The email restructured.

On Wed, 3 Oct 2007 00:09:07 -0300 luizbcampos@gmail.com wrote:
> On 10/2/07, Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 1 Oct 2007 13:33:44 -0300 luizbcampos@gmail.com wrote:
> >
> > >      Hi, everybody! My box runs FreeBSD-6.1-R amd64 and I need to print
> > an
> > > important doc; its driver when uncompressed features i386.rpm files and
> >
> > Did you mean a printer's driver?
> >
> > > linux_base-fc4  is not at /usr/ports/emulators..
> >
> > >      What should I do? Shall I have to update all the OS in order to
> > setup
> > > "linux_base-fc4 or shall I have to upgrade by using another command?
> >
> > A good start to understand FreeBSD is to read it's oficial
> > Handbook. Your question has nothing to do with linux_base. And
> > questions like "What is the ports system? How to get a FreeBSD ports
> > tree? How to install an application from ports or via packages?" are
> > described at "The Handbook". Ex.:
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ports.html
> >
> > >     Yesterday, I run CVSUP and I followed all the steps to upgrade
> > FreeBSD
> > > but...linux_base-fc4  was not  at /usr/ports/emulators!
> >
> > Which supfile did you use? If you used the one for ports (not for the
> > system files) you should get /usr/ports tree.
> >
> > Please read the above mentioned document. After reading you will
> > understand that there are options (i.e. installing via port or
> > packages) and how to do them. If you have a more concrete question
> > (with logs, error messages etc.) you are welcome back and we'll be
> > glad to help you.
> >
> > BTW good docs have been always an advantage of *BSD...
> >
> Thank you, Boris; I followed your instructions despite I'm not a newbie!

Actually, I doubt it or you didn't do it carefully...

> When I type "portupgrade -a" in order to upgrade  all the outdated packages

Are you sure that you *need* portupgrade -a? Isn't it an overkill
here? Why do you want to use portupgrade -a?

> I got a message "can't cd to /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade" and all the

>From The Handbook "4.5.4.1 /usr/ports/UPDATING":
-----
Once you have updated your Ports Collection, before attempting a port
upgrade, you should check /usr/ports/UPDATING. This file describes
various issues and additional steps users may encounter and need
to perform when updating a port, including such things as file
format changes, changes in locations of configuration files,
or other such incompatibilities with previous versions.

If UPDATING contradicts something you read here, UPDATING takes
precedence.
-----

Have you read /usr/ports/UPDATING? Seems no. Please, PLEASE, read the
docs.

> upgrading process of each package ends with "error 1". Summing up: not any
> package is really upgraded!

> I should emphasize I cvsuped again following your info; everthing has gone
> well but  it failed when I have to upgrade the ports. I should follow all
> this process for FreeBSD-6.1-R amd64  is short of linux_base fc4  in order
> to mount my i386.rpm  uncompressed driver files required to get my printer
> on

WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)