Date:      Mon, 12 Aug 1996 10:47:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee (Narvi)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, igor@jabber.paco.odessa.ua, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD vs. NT Stability

> > Obviously, the ideal mechanism is combined kernel and user threads,
> > with cooperative scheduling of kernel process quantums in user space
> > against the thread contexts that are blocked awaiting quantum.  This
> > will result in the best overall utilization with the fewest true
> > context switches.
>
> And is FreeBSD going to get this? It would be cool... Multi-threaded
> servers for different things (http, etc) are becoming to emerge more.

This will require waiting until kernel threads have been integrated;
they are required before the thread scheduler code can be hacked.

> > Since kernel threading is heavily related to SMP scalability of
> > processes, the SMP group of FreeBSD has dealt some with the issue.
> > One very good engineer has implemented kernel threading on FreeBSD,
> > and the code has been submitted; from what I understand, the code
> > will be integrated into the final SMP release, with only minor
> > changes.
>
> Are there any plans for integration with the user level pthreads
> implemetation?

Not to my knowledge.  The user level pthreads wants an async trap gate
(or to be replaced by kernel threads) to be POSIX compliant, anyway.

Yes, standards compliance has always been one of the things which
decides what gets implemented how.

Other than some experimental code that I did which never made it
into the UnixWare 2.x release, I don't know of *any* user/kernel
hybrid threads implementations, sorry.

This is probably something I will hack on (since I feel strongly about
it), but like many things, I need to wait for other code integration
before I can do anything about it.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---