Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 21:59:44 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
Cc:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, Rob <europax@home.com>, "freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: How do you get kids interested in computers- other than play

David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net> types:
> "Daniel O'Connor" writes:
> > You could just install Python for Windows and see if he plays with that,
> On an iMac?  :-)

What - you mean an iMac won't run Windows software? Good for it!

Guess you should install the Mac version, then. <URL:
http://www.python.org/download/download_mac.html >

Actually, I've been pretty impressed with the Python+tkInter stuff. I
write code on FreeBSD, and give it to people to run on Windows or the
Mac, and it just works - with the exception of the one time I needed
select(), which Windows doesn't do. They force programmers to use a
more error-prone approach.

In my experience, people (as opposed to geeks) start fooling with
computers because 1) Someone with authority makes them, or 2) there's
something useful they want it to do.

Since I assume #1 is out, you might look at what gets done away from
the computer, and point out how the computer could help with that
somehow. If you really want them to start programming, or scripting,
write the appropriate tool yourself (in Python on your FreeBSD box, of
course), and let him know you wrote it. Add the first change
request. *Help* him add the second one.

	<mike