Date:      Wed, 25 Aug 1999 22:19:48 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        glewis@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD and wine (was: Re: SMP and WINE)

In article <199908150633.QAA09941@ares.maths.adelaide.edu.au> you write:
>> A few weeks ago there was a post about WINE not being able to run on an SMP
>> system, if I recall -current would allow it at that time, but not -stable.
>> something about sharing data segments between forked proccess I think. I'm
>> putting together a SMP system and would like to use WINE. I'm wondering if
>> there have been any changes to -stable in this area, or if there are any
>> other tricks to get wine running under an SMP kernel.
>
>I think that was probably my post :).  I've been following the committers
>list (cvs-all) and haven't seen any of the necessary changes backported
>to -stable.  I believe that Luoqi Chen's vmspace sharing code is
>necessary for Wine to work under SMP.  This was committed to -current
>April 27th.  There have been a couple of related patches since that (as
>far as I can tell from the commit logs anyway).

Speaking of wine, has anyone looked at committing the patches in
kern/11287?  without them wine works only `partly', like when
running on old linux kernels (2.0.x)...

 FWIW, i've been running my back-ported version of luoqi's patch
(the LDT fix, nothing to do with SMP, see the PR) since i posted it
several months ago and haven't noticed any adverse effects.

 the PR:

 luoqui's patch:

	http://www.freebsd.org/~luoqi

 Regards,