Date:      29 Jul 2004 08:56:58 -0400
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        Redmond Militante <r-militante@northwestern.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: limit login attempts with pam

Redmond Militante <r-militante@northwestern.edu> writes:

> hello
>
> i'm interested in configuring PAM on my 4x system so that a user is locked out of ignored if trying to log in unsuccessfully via ftp within the space of a minute or so. i'm trying to eliminate brute force attacks...
>

> can anyone point me towards some good tutorials on how to do this?

Good tutorials?  I don't know, but there is source for the pam_tally
module included in the tree on my -STABLE machine.

Think it over carefully before enabling this kind of capability,
though; you may be making brute force attacks somewhat harder, but a
denial-of-service attack on specific users will become trivial.

		http://be-well.ilk.org:8088/~lowell/